The Hampshire and England and Wales Cricket Boards are committed to providing an environment that is safe, welcoming and friendly for children and for all people to enjoy the game of cricket.

The England and Wales Cricket Board's safeguarding policy, Safe Hands, is set out in detail on the ECB website.

Click here for invaluable Club Welfare resources including:

  1. Key Definitions and Concepts
  2. Safeguarding and a Club's Duty of Care
  3. Safe Hands Safeguarding Kit Bag
  • Putting things in place (background work, policies and paperwork)
  • Having the right people in place (recruitment and guidance)
  • What to do if you have concerns
  • Cricket specific safeguarding guidance

Safeguarding in cricket is based upon providing an enjoyable environment that meets the needs and requirements of children.

The ECB Safeguarding Adults Policy can also be downloaded by clicking here.

DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) Checks and ECB Vetting

The following roles in cricket that require a DBS (formerly CRB) check vetted by ECB are:

  • Welfare Officer (Club, League, County)
  • Volunteer Co-Ordinator
  • Coach (Volunteer Or Paid, Assistant Or Lead)
  • Umpire
  • Scorer
  • Colt/Junior Manager
  • Age Group Manager
  • Open-Age Team Captain
  • Junior Supervisor
  • First Aider / Physiotherapist / Medical Support

The ECB guidance on the roles in cricket that require a vetting check are available here. 

For more information and to obtain a DBS form please visit the ECB website.

County Welfare Officer

The County Welfare Officer in Hampshire is Helen Wheeler, who can be contacted via email and / or by telephone 07793 047324.

Courses for Club Welfare Officers

Club Welfare Officers (CWOs) need to complete the Safe Hands and Safeguarding and Protecting Children (SPC) workshops every 3 years. Cricket Development Manager Simon Jones co-ordinates training each year for new and existing Club Welfare Officers.  Contact Simon via email and / or by telephone 02380 475653 / 07920 452537 for further information. 

Do you hold a valid safeguarding qualification from another sport or profession?

Such a qualification may mean you do not need to complete a further Safeguarding and Protecting Children course.  Contact the County Welfare Officer (details above).

More Info

Read the ECB Safeguarding Statement