10 Aug 2018 | Vitality Blast 2018
155 for 2
151 for 8
Glamorgan win by 8 wickets

Glamorgan v Hampshire - Match Report

Rilee Rossouw struck a quick-fire fifty but Hampshire suffered an eight-wicket defeat against Glamorgan at Cardiff on Friday

Rilee Rossouw's first fifty of the 2018 Vitality Blast campaign wasn't enough as Glamorgan claimed an eight-wicket victory against Hampshire at Cardiff on Friday.

Their captain and Man of the Match Colin Ingram ensured Rossouw's earlier excellent knock was overshadowed as he hit an undefeated 71 to see Glamorgan chase down 152.

Glamorgan lost Aneurin Donald in the second over when he was run out from a direct hit from Wood, but Ingram announced himself with a massive six off Wood that landed ten rows from the back of the stand at square leg, followed by a straight six into the River Taff.

The Glamorgan captain then struck two further sixes, as his team reached 70 for 1 at the end of the power play, with Ingram reaching a punishing fifty from 26 balls, with four sixes and three fours. The second wicket pair put on 82 in eight overs before Meschede was caught behind from the first ball of Steyn’s third over.

Steyn, who bowled with real fire, saw some of his deliveries exceeding 90 miles per hour, but Ingram and Carlson played every ball on merit, as Glamorgan raced towards their target. 

Hampshire, who were put in, were given a rapid start by James Vince and Rossuw with 33 scored from the first three overs, and fifty reached in the following over. Vince, who scored 30 from 13 balls in a crunching, quick-fire knock, was then out in the next over when he drove Hogan to extra cover.

At the end of the power play the visitors were well placed at 68 for1, with Rossouw reaching his half century from 23 balls, which included four sixes and four fours. But the hard hitting South African was out next ball when he holed out  at mid- wicket, and his following over Salter took his second wicket when Northeast was caught at log on.

When Liam Dawson was dismissed in Ingram’s first over, Hampshire had lost three wickets for 13 runs, and there was worse was to follow when Weatherley was brilliantly stumped down the legside by Cooke from Meschede’s medium pace.

Glamorgan’s bowlers were so dominant that Hampshire failed to reach the reach the boundary from the eighth to the seventeenth over, and they lost their seventh wicket when Alsop drove Meschede to long off.

When Wood paddled Hogan to fine leg, Hampshire had lost their last seven wickets for 61, and would have been disappointed how their batsmen surrendered their wickets after a rousing start.

Words: Press Association